Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Deborah's Packing List

Well, I didn't take photos of my stuff. I compiled a list, gathered up my stuff, and crammed it into the bags. Surprised? My total weight including all gear, two panniers, and the "trunk box" is about 16lbs. Here's what I'm taking:

- headlamp (for riding in dark tunnels and walking after dinner in the dark)
- 1st aid kit
- toilettries (including pain meds and tiger balm)
- sunscreen
- diaper cream (if you have to ask, then you haven't cycled enough)
- 2 pair cycling shorts (1 pr knickers, 1 pr shorts)
- 2 pair bike gloves (1 full fingered, 1 half-fingered)
- 2 pair arm warmers (one heavy, one light)
- rain jacket
- rain pants
- wind shirt
- long sleeve hoodie (for off the bike, but on the bike in case of very cold weather)
- wool tank top (to wear under tops for extra warmth)
- 1 cycling jersey
- 1 wool t-shirt (to be worn as cycling jersey and around town)
- 2 pair short black socks
- 1 pair knee high socks (to be worn as leg warmers if it is really cold)
- 2 sports bras
- 2 pair underwear
- 1 off the bike bra
- 2 t-shirts (off the bike wear)
- 1 pair nylon shorts (off the bike wear)
- 1 pair nylon capris (off the bike wear)
- 1 pair cotton pants (my luxury item for the trip)
- PJs (can be worn as a dress in a pinch)
- 1 pair walking shoes
- 1 pair flip flops (okay, my 2nd luxury item)
- sunglasses (with interchangable lens)
- extra shoe insoles for cycling shoes (in case my orthotics go nuts)
- laundry detergent, laundry line, and rubber gloves (yep, I'm the "washer")
- foot tape
- wallet (cash, mastercard, drivers license, insurance card, atm card)
- bike repair stuff (tube, pump, patches, air value for gas stations, duct tape, etc)
- 2 shower caps (might come in handy to keep bike seats dry)
- wrist id band (mom: hope they don't need to call you!)
- note pad and pen
- suduko puzzles
- photos of Espresso Bean
- 2 water bottles
- snacks including pop tarts, chocolate covered pretzels, gu, cliff bars, nuts

I'll let you know how this list works out over time. Much thanks to Henric and Louise for their inputs. They suggested light for the darkness (headlamps), better protection from the rain (take a real rain jacket), supported taking flip flops and only 2 pair of bike shorts, and recommended the "triple" concentrated laundry detergent.

2 comments:

BellasMom said...

2 pair of underwear???? I wouldn't want to see you in the ER on week 5 (isn't that why we are supposed to have clean undies - for the ER?). I'd skip the suduko for a 3rd & 4th pair....just my 2cents!

Deborah said...

I'm carrying laundry detergent and wearing biking shorts all day! Of all people, I can't believe you leave the Suduko behind.